In 2019 there will be 9.4 billion mobile subscriptions around the world, and 5.6 billion of them, or 60 percent, will be linked to a smartphone, according to new study by mobile network vendor Ericsson(s eric). If Ericsson’s predictions are true, that means we’re going to see a huge expansion of the smartphone in the developing world.
Currently smartphones account for 25 percent to 30 percent of global mobile subscriptions — totaling 1.9 billion devices at the end of 2013 — but they’re fastest growing segment of mobile device, representing 55 percent of devices sold in the third quarter, Ericsson found in its newest Mobility Report, which combines its own ConsumerLab trend research, metrics from its customers’ global networks and outside research data.
Today smartphones tend to be the playthings of rich countries and rich people in developing countries, but as smartphones proliferate they’ll become more accessible to a greater amount…
View original post 314 more words